Managing the Learning Environment
Differentiated instructional techniques help establish a positive climate in the learning environment. Describe and evaluate one of your preferred or most used differentiated classroom management techniques.
The goal of differentiated instruction is to keep the primary student objectives for all pupils but to vary the texts, tools, procedures, and processes (Schultz, 2019), Differentiated instruction for a high school elective looks different from a core English class. My approach will depend on the student’s IEP and the subject matter; for example, I am teaching food, parenting, and the yearbook this semester. I have several students with IEPs. I must read everything aloud to two students with meager reading abilities in yearbook class. I do not make it obvious and act like I always read everything to everyone. Imagine the course being more like a slightly chaotic magazine editorial office! The most common differentiated instruction technique when teaching English classes is using the online reading program that varies readability level to match the individual student. This is helpful because it keeps the basic concepts, themes, mood, and symbolism but makes it attainable for every student.
What are the disadvantages of your preferred differentiated classroom management technique? The student must read it! Students who struggle (even when given help like this) will fail to do the work. I used to read novels aloud in class. Stop and check for understanding every other page or so. It took ages. I pulled every teenager to the end of the book. It worked for most because I have a good track record of picking some popular novels for my classes to read. What steps can be taken to overcome these difficulties? Some combination of reading a passage together as a group, having a healthy discussion, and having technology that adjusts the readability of text for struggling readers would be ideal.
References
Schultz, K. (2019b). Module 7: Proactive differentiated classrooms part 1 transcript: Balancing structure with flexibility. American College of Education. Retrieved August 22, 2023, from https://ace.instructure.com/courses/1916004/external_tools/118428
No comments:
Post a Comment