Thursday, September 14, 2023

Learning Styles and Differentiation

Not everyone learns in the same way.  Some of us are auditory learners.  I can hear something and usually remember and understand it; lectures are great.  This is not the case for most people.  Researchers have identified several types of learners:  visual, auditory, kinesthetic, reading/writing, logical/analytical, social/linguistic, solitary, and nature learners (Cimermanová, 2018).  Classroom teachers can not differentiate between 28 different styles of learning.  But they should break their differentiation down into three or four learning styles to help accommodate students with their learning. 

On average, I have four or five students in each class with either a 504 or an IEP.  If it is an elective (foods, parenting, yearbook), I can differentiate instruction and make the appropriate accommodations.  It is not too difficult because these classes are very hands-on and have a lot of group work.  If it is an English class, I have a special education team teacher in the room when IEP students are present.  Together we implement the necessary scaffolding, test reading, or other accommodations. 

I also believe in having varying ways to assess what students have learned.  Not all students are strong test takers.  Assessments can be independent projects demonstrating what they have learned by creating videos, posters, or other creative products.

Teachers can and should use what they know about their students to help teach them.  At the beginning of the semester, I have my students take a survey so that I can get to know them better.  One of the questions inquiries about how they learn best; I also ask what their teacher should know about them to help them learn.  You will often get an excellent overall answer if you ask the same question in several different ways. 

It is also important to be fluid while teaching.  Adapt in the middle.  Make changes, adjustments, and tweaks.  Alterations to lesson plans are not a bad thing necessarily.  Modifications to ensure learning is an everyday occurrence for me. 

References

Cimermanová, I. (2018). The effect of learning styles on academic achievement in different forms of teaching. International Journal of Instruction, 11(3), 219-232.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome

Thanks for visiting my first-ever attempt at blogging. The course on which this blog is based is CI6103 Curriculum and Instructional Design...